Volunteers organize events to raise funds across various Action Centers (ACs). Each event comes with a set of unique needs on what the volunteers are typically required to do to make the event is a grand success. The following is an outline of responsibilities that goes towards an event like, say, Holi, Walk or Banquet.
While the following functions might involve management, and leadership, as a volunteer you can decide the extent of your involvement. You could be:
- Event Day Volunteer – you show up on the day of the event, you are assigned a specific task/station with instructions, you help with that and go your way!
- Pre-Event Volunteer – you participate in discussions about organizing the event, you work in one or more of the functions below, carrying out assigned tasks. You work with a volunteer manager, on a specific set of responsibilities.
- Pre-Event Volunteer Manager – you participate in discussions about organizing the event, you take ownership by yourself, or in partnership of one or more of the functions listed below. You get help from pre-event volunteers to get these done, and stay closely coordinated with the overall event management team. You meet with pre-event volunteers as needed to ensure smooth and successful execution of a function. You typically are managing this function on the day of the event, too.
The following is a list of responsibility of putting an event together, and the work that leads up to the event.
Overall Event Management
- Finalize date, time, ticket prices
- Get permits for venue
- Set up event website – for ticketing
- Manage the event décor – banners, decorations, balloons, etc.
- Project manage the events across all functions – arrange meetings, ensure alignment, set direction, create action items
- Recruit volunteers
- Create volunteer assignment and get volunteer sign-ups
- Assign volunteer jobs – coordinate with other functions as to where volunteers are needed
- Volunteer Orientation/Onboarding – information sessions
- Volunteer engagement and appreciation – meetups, recognition
Community Outreach and Marketing
- Get creatives (posters/flyers/banners) created/updated
- Set up Social Media Event Pages
- Post about events, sponsors, etc, on social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Nextdoor
- Coordinate sending emails across past attendees, community groups, organizations (Qualcomm, Google, Microsoft, etc.)
- Post events in local media websites (TV stations, Radio Stations, Newspapers, sulekha.com, etc.)
- Forge partnership with other local organizations – community organizations, activity meetup groups
- Finalize sponsorship packages tiers, benefits
- Maintain prospective vendor list and coordinate soliciting sponsorship
- Manage vendor/sponsor agreements, ensure sponsor benefits are delivered
- Process payments from Sponsors/Vendors
- Manage vendors on the day of the event – receive, help with set-up, ensure compliance to agreement from both ends
- Manage a budget for an event
- Track expenses as they occur
- Process refunds/reimbursements for volunteers who spend money
- Submit report to CRY America Accountant
- Finalize rentals tables/chairs, trash cans, canopies etc.
- Finalize DJ equipment – speakers, generators, stage, etc.
- Reserve equipment for the event
- Coordinate pick-up/drop-off
- Maintain a list of vendors
Day of the Event
The following are some responsibilities for the day of the event. Some of these might require some coordination ahead of the event like training volunteers to use Square for payments, or securing the items that are slated to be sold as merchandise, etc.
- Put up the canopies, tables, chairs, banners, sign posts
- Set up photo booth
- Set up DJ station, etc.
- Bring it all down
- Ensure returning of equipment to respective vendors/owners
- Sell tickets, hand-out merchandise (colors, t-shirts, etc.)
- Check-in registrants (with online purchase)
- Take payments cash/Square
- Apply/Hand over wrist-bands, bibs, etc.
- Check-in volunteers
- Make sure volunteers make it to their assigned stations
- Get volunteer badges, volunteer coupons, if applicable.
- Set up merchandising booth with merchandise for sale, price list
- Sell merchandise
- Process payments using Cash/Square
- Receive vendors
- Help set-up, monitor needs of the vendors
- Ensure compliance by the vendors to contract terms
- Ensure vendors get the benefits that are in the contract
- Ensure people know where to go
- Ensure people bought tickets
- Manage any incidents, first aid stations, etc.
- Promote CRY in the event
- Coordinate with CRY America/CRY India for brochures
- Set up booth with display and information about CRY
Auction Management (Banquet Only)
- Set up Auction Items on display with auction bid sheets
- Close auction on time and secure winning bids
- Hand out auction item and receive payment
Pledge Management (Banquet Only)
- Track pledges made by donors
- Get donor information filled out in the form
- Get payment processed